Now that the excitement of the holidays has passed, it is time to tackle the un-decoration! Just a few short weeks ago it seemed like such a great idea to decorate every room in the house. At this point, you might even be avoiding rooms, knowing that there are more items to be packed away.
“Sort, Organize and Label” we associate these steps with cleaning out closets, pantries and garages but they are also valuable in packing up holiday decorations. Regardless of the holiday you celebrate, next year when you pull out your decorations, you will be thankful that you took a few extra minutes to sort, organize and label when packing things up, this year.
Before starting the Sort, Organize and Label process there is one more step…cleaning! At this point, you are probably thinking that this blog could not get worse. Trust us, you will be glad you did this!
- Check your tablecloths, napkins and holiday towels for stains-these wont magically disappear by next year, in fact, they will get worse. If stains don’t come out you should thin about discarding the item.
- Light strands-only pack them if all the bulbs are working
- Hanukkah Menorah-remove the wax
- Hanukkah candles-you need 44 each Hanukkah, so fi you have several open, half used boxes combine them-you might not need to buy candles next year.
So now for the “fun stuff”: Sort, Organize and Label
- When packing up your decorations store “like” items together, being sure to label the boxes:
- Tablecloths, napkins and holiday towels
- Stockings with stocking hangers
- Wreaths with wreath hangers
- Assorted decorations-group by theme or room, depending on what is more purposeful for your decorating style
- Be sure that fragile items are stored in a way that they wont break or get damaged
- If you have decorations that you no longer use but want to keep for memories or to pass along when your children get older, store those separate from the ones you will use next year-label them accordingly “For Suzie’s first home”, “Family Keepers”
- Holiday cards are letters-stack them, wrap with a ribbon and attach a tag with the year. These are fun to look through to see how friends and family have changed over the years…don’t forget to save one of yours as well!
- If you have special holiday pajamas, slippers or linens go ahead and pack them up-yes, it seems unusual to pack them with holiday decorations but when you think about it there is no need to store them in a separate location. Again, label accordingly!
So once again our running theme of Sort, Organize and Label is used in a different way!
Happy New Year!